Monday, May 23, 2011

My own little sweatshop

Ahhh, success.  It is such a great feeling when something you love catches the interest of a young person.   It’s a small hope your craft will live on.  I have been doing historical craft lectures to second graders for years, but this was the first time I focused on dolls.. and the first time I attempted to make them with the class.   22 kids, a teacher, and a classroom helper, and I sat out on a doll making journey.  The kids were great.  They hung on every word. It was a daunting task and one I wasn’t sure we could handle.  But we cranked out 22 wagon train dolls and 22 corn husk dolls complete with hats and paper flowers.  You should have seen the look on their faces when I told them I was going to put their dolls on Ebay.  Then we learned what a sweatshop was. J   I was pleased to learn that some of them even had plans of entering their dolls in the county fair – another endangered tradition (and somewhat self- inflicted, but I will blog about that another time).  Anyway, I think we all did an awesome job and it was refreshing to visit with kids who were so interactive and responsive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment