Wednesday, June 15, 2011

“Here lies Teresa and Turtle Pete”

The official first day of summer is approaching, but ask anybody here in Arkansas and they will tell you we have been in summer for the past few weeks.  Mid to high 90’s EVERYDAY.   Summer always makes me a little sad.   I spend most of this season inside my head in a Country Time Lemonade commercial.   For those of you who think that was just Hollywood, well it’s not.  

My childhood summers were filled with ponds, gardens, frogs, poly pool, popsicles, and yes, Country Time Lemonade.   I couldn’t tell you what was on TV because I didn’t care.  I had several jars for fireflies stored at each of my regular stomping grounds (grandparents).   I had a vast collection of cicada shells which Pop and I proudly displayed in my Grandmother’s living room. 

I was the constant, if only temporary, care giver for any turtle that happened to cross my path.   To this day, I still love turtles and will stop traffic to rescue one.  If you see me running down the highway, you best be looking for a turtle…. or a turkey, but that’s another story.   My mother says she will have to write on my tombstone that I died trying to save a turtle.  I figure there are far worse things to die doing.  Besides, it has to help you out with the “Big Guy”.   

Sometimes people question the sanity behind my quest for a hand-crank ice cream freezer.  To me, it represents a time when people were willing to work for a little reward.   I think the fall of the hand crank ice cream freezer symbolizes the passing of a bygone era when things weren’t quite as easy, but it didn’t stop people from doing them.  I try to hold on to such things because they are important.  I think too many times today we would just skip the ice cream because it’s too much work. 

To sum up my ramblings, let’s turn off the TV, get off the computer, put down the Purell, pick up a turtle, lose the shoes, and start to work cranking that ice cream.  If you find a cicada shell, pick it up, put it in your living room (please make sure its empty).   It’s summer.   I hope you all have a Country Time Lemonade one.   


No comments:

Post a Comment